Thursday, December 3, 2009

Made With Love


For some time now, I have been very interested in giving handmade gifts for the holidays. This year, I have taken my first attempt in doing so. I can only manage this for one person (maybe two), this year. I have to take baby steps. If I start earlier next year, I should be able to have something for everyone with minimal stress and effort.

I wanted to make something lovely and sentimental for my soon-to-be 3-year-old niece, Halle. She is a funny, snuggly, little girlie-girl. She likes collecting like items, and toting them around the house. A bit of a pack-rat in training! She is often seen herding all of her stuffed animals, or gathering every single crayon in sight. Most of all, she likes her blankets, the more the better! Whether watching her favourite children’s program, or sitting in between mommy and daddy for quiet time, she is almost always tucked under a blanket…or two. So, I thought I would make her a little lap quilt for her snuggly moments and nap time.

I fell in love with the Tina Givens Fairy Tip-toes fabric. I did not want to make a quilt with such soft pastel and baby-like fabrics that she would soon grow out of the design. I wanted this to be something that she could grow with and easily have on her bed well into her 7th, 8th or 9th year. I loved the colour palette of this collection. Lucky for me, one of my favourite online fabric retailers carries some of the Fairy Tip-toes collection. I ordered a couple of fat quarters sets from Pink Panda Fabrics for an awesome price. It arrived super-fast and could not wait to get started.

I decided to go with a simple brick pattern layout for the design of my quilt. Not because I am too lazy, but because I am not a quilter, period. I did not want to risk wasting any fabric or running out of time. I was looking for the least amount of grief, but still allowing for a lovely result. It was all about simplicity. This is only my second quilt, after all (which reminds me, I really have to finish the one that I had started back in the Summer time). It is my goal to eventually become skilled at more complex designs, but that little adventure will be kept for another blog post.

I moved through the assembly quite quickly, cutting out my blocks and piecing them in one night. Last night, I had actually attached my batting and backing fabric. Tonight, binding... I plan to give this to Halle for her 3rd birthday, which is coming up in a matter of days. I will be sure to share photos of the little madame with her new quilt.
=)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails