Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Grey Wool Trouser Challenge: a few results...

Last week, I had challenged myself to incorporate a more earth-friendly approach to my sewing.  Don't get me wrong, I am usually quite conservative when using my fabric and I do not care for waste. Measuring twice...cutting once...  If you recall, I had decided to repurpose a pair of grey wool trousers (destined for the charity bin) into as many new items as I could conceive.

The process was actually quite fun, I began carefully ripping away at the seams and making well thought cuts in order to yield as much fabric as possible.  Thus far, I have been able to produce a number of items (four, to be exact). Today, I will share two of them with you.




This scarf was made from the better part of one trouser leg. I lined the back with some soft brushed cotton fabric featuring a lovely botanical print in an autumn colour palette. Ruffles were added (of course!) to the ends of the scarf.  I used three buttons from the original garments waistband to embellish the edge and to give it what I think is a more distinguished look. It am quite pleased with the way this one turned out! It is on the shorter side for a scarf, but it is perfect for my fitted jackets, when I don't want to have excessive bulk tucked in at my chest. Though, I would not want to ever tuck it in and hide the super-girlie ruffle action!





This wristlet was fashioned from the bottom quarter of the same trouser leg.  It is lined with the same cotton fabric noted above.  Inverted pleats were added to the centre to create some visual interest.  Once again, this features some ruffles to create a matching set (why not?!).  There is an interior pocket to house a cell phone, lip gloss or keys.  I added some felt floral embellishments, using one of the many buttons as the flowers centre. I am pleased with this creation as well. I can't wait to use it on my Saturday morning walks with my sweetie-pie, when we go out for our weekly chai latte.

 More to come, stay tuned...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails