Saturday, August 15, 2009

Ooooh! Shiny...

Something shiny has caught this little birds eye! So, I've been on the hunt for the odd vintage sewing machine for a while. The trouble is, when you do find one on the web or through any re-seller, they are often in questionable condition. This could vary from missing too many parts or are somewhat damaged enough that you have to service it. Also, everyone's interpretation of "like new" and "mint condition" varies widely. You truly get what you pay for.

I came across the Keeler Sales website this past Spring. This chap in Florida, Greg Keeler, once repaired sewing machines a number of years ago. He also happened to learn automobile painting and detailing from a friend a during this time. He has since retired from the repair business and now applies the learned auto detailing techniques to refurbishing his accumulated supply of Singer Featherweight 221 sewing machines. Beautiful, lovely stuff! You can buy directly from him, or send your Featherweight to him to work his magic on for a fraction of the cost.

Above is an image of the very machine that I am saving up for. Pretty, isn't she? I love the super-shiny paint job and the decals. I am thrilled that it is fully serviced and comes complete with all of the parts, as well as a carrying case. If you require or want extra parts, there are many to choose from that can be purchased separately. There are also a slew of colours to choose from, which is fantastic! Not only will you have a vintage machine, but in the colour of your choice. In my past searches, it can be pretty hit and miss with other re-sellers of this particular product.

Yes, the price is a bit steep, but I feel it is worth the investment. I am saving my pennies as we speak. I have already imagined it's new home, perched on a beautiful vintage tabletop in my eventual sewing room. My other machines will become quite jealous of the attention awarded to this little jewel. I think we will be so very happy together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails